Writing the end of my last blog Daughter or Granddaughter?! sent me on a trail to explore the “Varshney”
mistry.
"Varshneyji ki bachhi ho ya
poti" (Daughter or granddaugher of Varshneyji).
A question that opened the door to many more.
Why a person who knows my father or grandfather does not
know that Varshney is a surname not first name?
Why he identifies just one of them by surname not the other?
Why everyone identifies us and identifies as “Varshneyji ke
bachhe”?
Why everyone knows only the “Varshney” of my Dad’s name?
Why at times people call Dad as Panditji? And some as Thakur
saab and some as Bauji and more different sambodhan?
Why only few people pronounce it as Varshney and most others
have their own deformed version?
Why the deformed versionists believe they are saying it
right?
Why? Why? And many more whys?
Battling with all such questions, I am trying to make sense
and to pen down the sense.
Varshney is “Our” surname. No-one deforms it in fun or to
mock. But it is used with full respect.
So starts the series “Respectfully Ours”.
Series-bcoz the questions are so much. It has been decades
since we “Varshneys” first came to Ambah. Much has happened and I don’t know
all. I don’t even know it all. Hope I’ll have the answers for all. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment